img.wp-smiley, img.emoji { display: inline !important; border: none !important; box-shadow: none !important; height: 1em !important; width: 1em !important; margin: 0 0.07em !important; vertical-align: -0.1em !important; background: none !important; padding: 0 !important; }

Skip to Registrar site navigationSkip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

General Questions

What is an R#?

An R# is the identification number assigned to all members of the Ramapo community. New admits and non-matriculants receive R#’s from the Admissions Office. Students can obtain this information by logging on to Web Self Service.  The Ramapo ID number is located on the Personal Profile page.

Do I need an appointment to register?

No. Registration is done online through the Web. After your registration window opens, you may register from anywhere you can access the Internet when the system is available. The system is usually available from 8:30 am – 11:55 p.m. See specific times and dates.

Will the schedule of classes be printed?

No, the Schedule of Classes are listed on the

Can I register from anywhere?

You can access Ramapo Self Service anywhere you have Internet access.

Can I adjust my schedule anytime?

In general, you can adjust your schedule anytime from 8:30 am – 11:55 p.m. after your day to register arrives through the last day of Add/Drop.

What times of the day can I register?

The system is usually available from 8:30 am – 11:55 p.m.

How do I deal with a registration error message?

Special permissions may be available for closed courses (or those in need of a prerequisite). See your instructor to obtain an electronic override. Overrides are entered by the instructor. You must provide the instructor with specific information as what kind of override is needed.  Students must still register for courses online after the override is entered.

How will I be notified if my course is canceled or changed?

A student’s Ramapo e-mail account serves as the college’s official means of communication. All communication concerning canceled courses, change of time, change of day, and room changes will be sent to your Ramapo E-Mail account.

What if a course is closed?

Sometimes you may be able to obtain special permission from the instructor. After the instructor gives you an electronic override, you must then register for the course.

Will I be mailed my Final Grades/Grade Report?

No, grades will available on the Web shortly after the end of the semester. Log in through Web Registration. Select “FINAL GRADES” under the Student Records Menu. Select “Term” to view grades.

Transcript Questions

How do I request a copy of my transcript for my own personal records?

Paper Based Transcript Requests

Official Transcripts can be requested by completing the Ramapo College Official Transcript request form. This form is available by clicking on Official Transcript Request Form.

Electronic Transcript Requests

Official transcripts can be obtained by visiting the .

Is there a fee for this process?

Paper Based Transcripts

Paper Based Transcripts are not charged a fee.

Electronic Transcripts – Processed through the Clearinghouse

Electronic Transcripts are assessed a fee by the .  Please contact the for pricing information.

How long does it take to process an official transcript request?

Paper Official transcripts take about 3 to 5 business days to process. Requests submitted at the end of semester will take longer to process.

Electronic transcripts are processed within 24-48 business hours by the National Student Clearinghouse.

Enrollment Verification Questions

What is an Enrollment Verification?

An enrollment verification is an official document which provides a student’s enrollment status.  This verification does not include courses, grades, or class rank at Ramapo College.  An enrollment verification lists the following information:

  • Student Name
  • Semester Enrolled/Certified
  • Start and End Dates for each semester verified
  • Status (Less than Half Time, Half Time, Full Time)
  • Expected Graduation Date

How do I obtain an Enrollment Verification?

Ramapo College of New Jersey has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment verifications free of charge to students.  Current students have the ability to print current and previous enrollment verifications from their computers using Web Self Service.  The certificate of enrollment is equivalent to one issued by Ramapo College.  The National Student Clearinghouse does not have the ability to verify future semesters.

Can an Enrollment Verification request still be obtained at the Registrar’s Office?

Enrollment verifications may also be obtained under special circumstances from the Office of the Registrar.   Students may use the Enrollment Verification forms below for situations the National Student Clearinghouse is unable to accommodate such as:

  • Auto Insurance / Good Student Discount
  • Students who do not have a social security number on file with the college
  • Graduation interim for pre-semester verification.

How often is enrollment data transmitted to the National Student Clearinghouse?

Enrollment data is transmitted to the National Student Clearinghouse periodically beginning the second week of classes.  Once the file has been transmitted it may take up to 5 business days for status changes to be reflected on your record.  If you are unable to wait for the next file submission, please request an enrollment verification at the Registrar’s Office.

Graduation Questions

How can I determine where I stand with respect to fulfilling the requirements for a degree?

All students are encouraged to review their degree audit and meet with their advisers to ensure they have met all the requirements for Graduation.

Do I have to apply for graduation?

۱. All candidates must apply for graduation.  The Graduation Application and instructions can be found on the Graduation website.  Please review the Graduation Application deadline submission to ensure your application is processed for the correct term.

Where do I apply for graduation?

Graduation / Commencement

Will I be charged a graduation fee?

۱.A $100.00 non-refundable fee will be assessed to all students who have filed for graduation and the fee will be added directly to your bill/account. This fee covers only the costs associated with degree processing.

Will a graduation fee be applied to each time I apply for graduation?

This fee is charged to applicants for each degree level: Baccalaureate,  Master’s, and Doctorate.   In the case where a master’s student has received a previous degree from Ramapo, this fee is applicable for the new degree level.  However, if you file for graduation and do not graduate during that year, you will not be charged another fee.  Instead, your first payment will be verified by the Office of the Registrar.

What is the deadline to submit my graduation application for the current term?

Graduation applications and all paperwork are due to the Graduation Office as follows:

Graduation Date – January

Apply Until – November 6

Graduation Date – June

Apply Until – April 1st

Graduation Date – August

Apply Until – May 31st

Do I have to be registered in my final term?

No.  Students are eligible to apply for Graduation as long as they have attended a class in the past two semesters.  If a student has not attended Ramapo College in the past two semesters then he/she will have to be readmitted to the college before they can apply for graduation.

Will I be notified  if I have completed the requirements for Graduation?

Students will receive an email stating that they have completed the requirements for Graduation.  This letter will be e-mailed to the student’s Ramapo email account after the conferral date.

If I participate in commencement, have I earned my degree?

No.  Participating in the commencement exercises does not guarantee graduation.  After graduation, we will begin the check out procedure.  You will be notified via email if you do not meet the requirements for graduation.

How do I get Latin Honors?

Latin Honors are awarded automatically to graduates who have completed the following:

Grade Point Average – 3.500 – 3.699

Latin Honors Awarded – Cum Laude

Grade Point Average – 3.700 – 3.849

Latin Honors Awarded – Magna Cum Laude

Grade Point Average – 3.850 – 4.000

Latin Honors Awarded – Summa Cum Laude

What is the least number of credits I need to receive a degree?

A minimum of 48 credits must be completed at Ramapo College.  Overall, the number of credits required to graduate from Ramapo College is 128 credits.  However, every program has different credit requirements.  Please review the number of classes and the number of credits with your adviser.

Can I receive my degree with an incomplete grade on my academic record?

All incomplete grades will need to be resolved before the deadline date outlined on the Graduation Application.  Failure to resolve an incomplete will result in your application being rejected for graduation.  You will then have to reapply for the next semester’s conferral date.

After I complete the requirements for my degree, when will my final transcript be available?

The transcript will be available the day after degrees have been conferred.  Degrees will not be conferred until the following dates:

Graduate Month  – January Graduates

Conferral Date – January 30

Graduate Month  – June Graduates

Conferral Date – June 20

Graduate Month  – August Graduates

Conferral Date – August 30

Will my minor appear on my diploma?

No.  The Ramapo College diploma has your major(s) and if applicable Latin Honors.

When will my diploma be available?

Diplomas will automatically be mailed to all graduates.  After your degree is certified, as long as you do not have any outstanding financial obligations, your diploma will be ordered and will be shipped within 6 weeks directly to the permanent address on file. Therefore, it is important for you to login and verify the permanent address on your student record.

Can I replace a lost diploma?

۱. A replacement diploma will indicate it is a replacement/duplicate diploma.  The diploma will bear the signatures of the college officials at the time of the reprint.  The cost for a replacement diploma is $30.00 and will take approximately 6 weeks to be received.

Can I take classes after receiving my undergraduate degree?

No.  You will need to reapply to Ramapo College for a second degree or submit the necessary paperwork to be a Non-Degree Seeking Student.

Can my academic record be changed after I have graduated?

Once a student graduates, their academic record is closed.  Therefore, grade changes or enrollment status cannot be manipulated.

What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?

Graduation and Commencement are frequently confused terms. Graduation means actually completing and fulfilling your degree requirements resulting in a diploma. Graduation is the technical obtainment of credits to receive a degree. Commencement is the symbolic ceremony marking the closing of your academic career where you receive commendation for your hard work. It is an opportunity for you, your family, friends and the Ramapo College community to celebrate your achievement.